When it comes to your baby, only the best will do. That includes everything from what they eat to what you put on their bodies, such as baby wipes. And the wipes you buy in the store may be filled with harmful ingredients.
Keep in mind that whatever you put on your baby can seep right into their skin and into their bodies! This includes medications for diaper rash, baby wipes, bath products, etc.
However, these DIY baby wipes are safe to use and call for organic ingredients. Furthermore, they’re easy to make and relatively cost-effective.
Here is what you need for your DIY baby wipes:
- Airtight Container with lid (or empty baby wipe container)
- Bounty Paper Towels (or organic, nonchlorinated paper towels)
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Castile Soap
- Serrated Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 3 Cups Water (boiled)
- 2 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Castile Soap
- 6 drops Lavender Oil
If you wish, you can add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to this recipe. This helps fight bacteria that may be lurking on your baby’s bottom.
You may also choose to add 6 drops of chamomile essential oil, as well. Chamomile can fight rashes and even prevent them from cropping up in the first place.
Additionally, chamomile’s gentle scent will help promote a calm and happy atmosphere for you and your baby. And you can also add 2 tablespoons of pure aloe vera, which is gentle on the skin and can promote a healthy immune system.
How to make these DIY Baby Wipes:
The first ingredient for these DIY baby wipes is organic paper towels. Be sure they’re nonchlorinated—you don’t want this added chemical seeping into your baby’s skin.
Furthermore, the paper towels must be thick. The cheap thin ones will only fall apart when you go to use them.
- Cut the paper towels in half, width-wise, with a serrated knife.
- Take out the cardboard roll center.
- Place paper towels in airtight container, or large mixing bowl, if using an empty baby wipe container.
- Boil 3 cups of water.
- Add coconut oil, castile soap, lavender essential oil and any optional ingredients, such as chamomile essential oil.
- Pour solution over paper towels–saturate them completely.
- If using an empty baby wipe container, transfer saturated towels to container.
- Pull up the top DIY baby wipe through the dispenser.
Castile soap is great for these wipes because it’s made with completely natural ingredients. You might choose castile soap that is lavender scented—just be sure to read the labels. Coconut oil is the moisturizing ingredient in these DIY baby wipes, and lavender and chamomile essential oils are soothing, calming and gentle.
Now you have your very own DIY baby wipes! They should keep for about two weeks.