Gently exfoliating your lips with a lip scrub keeps them healthy and smooth. You’ll find a variety of commercial lip scrubs at the drug store, including specialty products that can be hard on the budget.
Make your own lip scrub for pennies with a few everyday ingredients from the kitchen. If your dry, cracked lips persist, see your physician to determine the cause of the problem. Otherwise, head to the kitchen and get scrubbing.
- 1 teaspoon natural honey
- Small cup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, sweet almond oil or sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons granulated white sugar
- 1 to 2 drops essential oil, optional
- Lemon juice, optional
- Cotton balls
- Moisturizer or lip balm
- Place 1 teaspoon of natural honey in a small, sterile cup. Warm the honey, which possesses healing and hydrating properties, in the microwave for four to five seconds.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of oil, which provides a thin protective barrier. Select a healthy, edible oil such as olive oil, sweet almond oil or sunflower oil.
- Add 2 teaspoons of granulated white sugar, which creates a gentle, abrasive exfoliant to remove dead skin. Stir in a drop of lemon juice, if you like.
- Add 1 to 2 drops of essential oil, is desired. Try peppermint or spearmint for a soothing, healing lip scrub, or flavor your lip scrub with mango-, lime- or lemon- flavored oil.
- Wash your hands, then use your finger to apply the scrub to your lips, using gentle, circular motions. Wipe the scrub off your lips with a damp cotton ball. Finish by applying your favorite lip moisturizer or balm.