Golden milk is used as a natural remedy for a wide range of health issues. Some of the health benefits of this delicious golden liquid can help:
- to reduce inflammation in joints
- boost your immune system
- maintain a healthy heart and cardiovascular system
- help lose weight
- keep blood sugar levels in check.
- There is also evidence that turmeric has anti-cancer properties.
1) Golden milk paste recipe
- 1/2 cup of clean water
- 1/4 cup of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Put the pan with water in it on a medium heat setting.
- Add turmeric and black pepper and stir well to create a smooth paste.
- Cook gently for 7 to 9 minutes to get the paste properly cooked.
- If the yellow paste becomes too dry, you can add some more water.
- Allow the golden paste to cool and store in a glass container with an airtight lid.
The paste should keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. After that, it develops a metallic taste and should be discarded.
Please remember that turmeric has a very strong pigment and can easily stain clothes and work surfaces. So protect your clothes in case it bubbles out while cooking it.
For good pain relief, some people just use golden paste directly, without making it into a golden milk. To use golden paste to reduce pain and inflammation, please do the following:
Take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of turmeric paste.
Consume the yellow paste every day until pain subsides (should take 3 to 4 days).
2) Golden milk recipe
To make golden milk from the turmeric paste, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric paste depending on your taste
- 1 cup almond milk (you can also use organic cow’s milk or other milk substitutes such as hemp milk, coconut milk, rice milk or oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon of unrefined virgin coconut oil
- Some honey (or use another natural sweetener such as maple syrup, stevia)
2) The recipe for making golden milk is as follows:
- Put milk and turmeric paste in a pot and cook on medium heat.
- Heat the mixture until steaming but not boiling. Some recipes call for boiling the mixture but prolonged heat can destroy the active ingredient curcumin.
- Remove from heat and allow the yellow milk to cool down
- Add honey and oil.
The addition of oil boosts the health benefits of golden milk by supplying you with healthy fats and helping with joint lubrication and promoting cellular function. The oil also further increases turmeric absorption.
The drink has a nice golden yellow color, hence its name – golden milk.