Argan oil is a natural plant oil with amazing benefits for your skin and hair. Argan oil contains antioxidants, fatty acids, and anti-inflammatory properties. These beneficial compounds in argan oil help nourish your skin, soothe inflammation, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, keep your skin moisturized, and treat many skin conditions.
One of the benefits of using pure argan oil on your skin is that it doesn’t block pores. Because it also reduces sebum levels, it means that argan oil is an excellent treatment for acne. The high fatty acid content reduces acne inflammation, helps clear your skin, and may prevent acne scarring.
Argan oil can also do wonders for your scalp and help keep your hair conditioned and looking shiny.
In this article, you will find out what science really says about the wonderful benefits of applying argan oil on your skin. You will also learn how to use this versatile natural oil to improve the appearance of your hair.
What Is Argan Oil?
Argan oil is made by extracting oil from the Argan nut that grows on the argan tree which grows in Morocco. Argan oil is sometimes called Moroccan oil or Moroccan argan oil. This is not an essential oil but can be used as a carrier oil to dilute essential oils for use in aromatherapy and skin care.
Argan oil is a cold-pressed oil that is mostly done by hand. This is one of the reasons why argan oil is so expensive. The good news is that to get the benefits of argan oil for your skin, you only need a small amount, and you may ditch many of your expensive skin care products.
Although you can use it as a food, most people are interested in Argan oil’s amazing properties for your hair and skin.
Research into the medicinal compounds of argan oil shows that it is rich in monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and saturated acids. Oleic acid and linoleic acid are the main fatty acids in argan oil. Researchers say that pure argan oil can treat many skin issues and is considered by many people to be a “miracle oil.”
Argan Oil Benefits
Let’s look in more detail at how argan oil can improve the appearance of your skin by being a natural moisturizer, eye serum, anti-aging treatment, and acne remedy.
Argan Oil for Acne and Oily Skin
100% pure argan oil benefits acne-prone skin because it helps reduce sebum levels on your skin and has an anti-inflammatory effect.
Sebum is the oily substance that protects your skin and keeps your skin hydrated. Doctors from the Mayo Clinic say that excess sebum can lead to acne when it blocks pores and becomes infected.
Research published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology reports that products containing argan oil reduce sebum levels. In a trial involving men and women with oily skin, 95% of participants noticed a reduction in sebum with fewer oily spots visible on the skin.
Other studies have shown that argan oil can be beneficial for acne because it has an anti-inflammatory effect and helps heal damaged skin.
Because argan oil is non-comedogenic and doesn’t block pores, you can safely add a few drops of argan oil to your natural anti-acne treatment.
How to use argan oil to treat acne naturally:
This antibacterial, moisturizing argan oil face mask uses honey, cinnamon, and tea tree oil. Raw honey is known for its antibacterial activity and in helping acne lesions heal faster. Tea tree oil also has proven to be an effective anti-acne ingredient in acne treatments.
To make a face mask with argan oil for acne, this is what you should do:
- Mix 2 tbsp. honey with 1 tsp. cinnamon powder together.
- Add a few drops of Moroccan argan oil and 4 drops of tea tree oil. Mix well.
- Apply the argan oil face mask to your acne-prone skin.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes to help reduce oiliness on your skin and inflammation.
- Repeat once or twice a week to rid your skin of acne-causing bacteria and help control acne breakouts.
You can find more natural face masks for acne that will help to reduce the number of pimples you have on your face.
Argan Oil to Moisturize Your Face
One of the benefits of pure Moroccan argan oil is locking in moisture and moisturize your skin naturally.
Research into the skin benefits of argan oil has found that applying argan oil to your skin can increase its hydration levels. One trial involving 60 women found that applying argan oil significantly increased skin hydration. The argan oil improved the skin’s natural barrier function and prevented moisture loss.
The high levels of fatty acids like linoleic acid and vitamin E are excellent to improve the look and feel of your skin.
How to use pure argan oil as a skin moisturizer:
- Put one or 2 drops of pure argan oil on the palm of your hand.
- Rub your palms together to warm the oil.
- Apply in a circular motion over your cheeks, chin, forehead, and nose to moisturize your face.
- Repeat daily morning and night to help keep your skin moisturized and in good condition.
Vitamin E, antioxidants, and fatty acids in argan oil really benefit your skin. You should find that your skin becomes more elastic and you may even notice a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Argan Oil as a Skin Toner
You can use Moroccan argan oil as a skin toner lotion to help cleanse both dry and oily skin types.
Argan oil really helps to cut down on oily skin and reduce sebum levels, and at the same time hydrates the skin and prevents moisture loss. You can create your own refreshing skin toner using green tea and some essential oils.
Studies have shown that green tea contains polyphenols that help to rid the skin of free radicals. Some of these antioxidants are catechins. Researchers have found that they have “potent therapeutic effects on the skin.” Applying green tea topically helps to protect against UV radiation damage and cell damage.
How to make a homemade skin toner using argan oil:
- Put one green tea bag in a cup of boiling water, cover, and leave to infuse for a few minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and let the green tea cool.
- Pour into a dark bottle, add a few drops of argan oil, and a few drops of rosehip oil (or jojoba oil).
- Shake vigorously before each time you use it to combine the ingredients.
- Pour some of the argan oil toner onto a cotton ball.
- Cleanse your face and neck with the mixture.
- Use as part of your daily skincare routine morning and night to keep your skin cleansed and free of grime.
The argan oil/green tea toner should keep for around 2 weeks if kept in a cool place.
Argan Oil to Treat Razor Bumps
100 percent argan oil has properties that can protect your skin from the effects of shaving by preventing razor burns and bumps.
Argan oil has skin benefits for women after shaving their legs or armpits. Shaving can leave your skin looking inflamed with tiny red bumps. Shaving body hair can also lead to dry skin and itchiness. Of course, argan oil can benefit men after they shave their facial hair.
Argan oil is packed with antioxidants that help eliminate skin damage caused by shaving. Also, nutrients such as vitamin E and fatty acids have a soothing effect that help to improve the appearance of your skin after shaving.
How to use pure argan oil to treat razor burns:
- Immediately after shaving, put a drop or two of argan oil on your palm.
- Rub your palms to warm the oil.
- Gently massage onto your shaved skin to moisturize it and reduce inflammation.
Argan Oil has Anti-Aging Effect and Help Treat Fine Lines
Pure Moroccan argan oil helps to reduce the visible signs of aging by smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles.
The high levels of vitamin E and other antioxidants in argan oil help to improve your skin’s elasticity. Research has found that nutrients like vitamin E in argan oil prevent the loss of collagen and elastic fibers in the skin. When argan oil was applied to the skin of 60 women, most noticed a positive effect on skin elasticity.
You can also boost the effectiveness of argan oil for wrinkles by adding some essential oils. For example, lemon oil has shown to have anti-aging properties and can help to reduce the effects of oxidative damage on the skin.
Here are 2 argan oil recipes for reducing the signs of aging. One is an anti-aging argan oil serum and the other is an exfoliating anti-wrinkle argan oil scrub.
How to make your own argan oil anti-aging serum:
- Mix together 1 oz. of your favorite carrier oil (such as sweet almond oil) and a tablespoon of argan oil in a dark glass bottle.
- Add 2 drops lemon essential oil, 2 drops lavender essential oil, and 2 drops chamomile essential oil and shake well.
- Apply a few drops of the argan anti-aging serum to your face and neck every evening before going to bed.
- Use daily to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and give your skin a more youthful appearance.
Remember, you only need a couple of drops of this argan skin serum on your face. The serum should keep for 4 months.
How to make your own argan oil scrub for wrinkles:
- Mix 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/4 cup melted coconut oil and 1/4 cup sweet almond oil to make a thick paste.
- Add 3 drops lemon essential oil and 3 drops clary sage essential oil.
- Add a few drops of argan oil and mix well.
- Take some of the sugar scrub in your hands and gently apply to your face using circular motions to remove dead skin cells from your skin.
- Leave for 10 minutes to let the argan oil nourish your skin.
- Rinse off with warm water and pat your skin dry.
- Repeat once or twice a week to help unclog pores and reduce the appearance of fine lines.
Argan Oil May Help Wounds and Burns Heal Faster
You can apply pure argan oil from Morocco directly to damaged skin to help burns and wounds heal quicker.
Scientists have found that argan oil has healing properties that are beneficial in treating wounds. One experiment found that the antioxidant benefits of argan oil helped heal second-degree burns. The oil was applied 2 times a day and significantly decreased healing time. Argan oil was superior when compared to silver sulfadiazine cream – a popular anti-inflammatory cream used to treat burns.
How to use pure argan oil to treat burns and wounds:
- Put one or 2 drops of argan oil directly on the damaged skin.
- Gently massage into the inflamed skin to help reduce irritation, redness, and prevent secondary bacterial infections.
- Repeat the argan oil treatment twice a day and continue until the wound is healed.
Argan Oil as an Eye Serum
Moroccan argan oil contains nourishing properties that are gentle enough to use under your eyes as a serum.
The vitamin E content of argan oil may help reduce the appearance of crow’s feet and fine lines under your eyes. The effective moisturizing nature of argan oil will also help to refresh dry skin around your eyes.
How to use argan oil as a natural eye serum:
- Put one drop of argan oil on the tip of a clean finger.
- Use a tapping motion to apply the drop of argan oil beneath both eyes.
- Gently massage into the skin under your eyes to help moisturize and revitalize your eyes.
- Repeat morning and night to help reduce the visible appearance of aging around your eyes.
Argan Oil Helps to Prevent Stretch Marks
Applying pure Moroccan argan oil to your belly can help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Stretch marks can appear in your abdomen during pregnancy or after rapid weight loss.
The healing and nourishing properties of argan oil mean that it is excellent to use alone or with another moisturizing natural oil. In fact, researchers have found that argan oil helps to improve the skin’s elasticity and help prevent and treat stretch marks.
How to use pure argan oil for stretch marks:
- Put 2 or 3 drops of argan oil on the palm of your hand and rub together to warm to oil.
- Gently massage the oil into your belly where you have stretch marks and continue until the oil is absorbed.
- Repeat every morning and evening.
- You should start to see a reduction in the appearance of stretch marks after a few weeks.
Argan Oil Benefits Symptoms of Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)
100% pure argan oil can help to treat the symptoms of eczema because it contains vitamins A and E as well as nourishing fatty acids.
When discussing the medicinal properties of argan oil, a study from 2013 reported that cosmetic uses of argan oil benefit dry skin conditions. Argan oil has been used to treat inflammatory skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and skin inflammation.
You can add argan oil to coconut oil along with some great essential oils for treating eczema. Studies have shown that coconut oil has moisturizing and antibacterial properties that are effective for treating eczema.
How to use argan oil to treat eczema and dermatitis:
- Take 1 tablespoon melted virgin coconut oil and add 2-3 drops of lavender oil for its antibacterial properties.
- Add 3 or 4 drops of argan oil and mix well.
- Apply the moisturizing argan oil remedy to your patches of eczema to help soothe and heal the lesions.
- Repeat twice a day and continue until you no longer have patches of inflamed skin.
Argan Oil as a Whole-Body Moisturizer
You can use argan oil combined with a natural moisturizing oil as your whole-body moisturizer.
All you have to do to get the benefits of pure argan oil is to add a few drops of argan oil to a tablespoon of natural oil like olive oil, avocado oil, or sweet almond oil. Massage the natural moisturizer to prevent dry skin on your elbows or heels or any other part of your body needing hydration.
Argan Oil Benefits for Hair
Moroccan argan oil also has numerous benefits for your scalp and hair. Because it is quite expensive, you can benefit the most from argan oil on your scalp by mixing it with a carrier oil as I mentioned in the whole-body moisturizing section.
Research published in the International Journal of Trichology reported that argan oil for hair can help moisturize and hydrate your hair. The rich oil which is full of antioxidants benefits scalp health and can help give your hair a wonderful, healthy-looking shine and prevent frizzy hair. Argan oil can also reduce or completely eliminate your dandruff by moisturizing your scalp and repair damaged hair caused by coloring and other hair treatments.
How to use argan oil to improve the health of your hair:
- Wash and towel dry your hair.
- Put 3 or 4 drops of organic argan oil in a tablespoon of melted coconut oil (or other carrier oil).
- Take a small amount of the mixture and rub it between your palms.
- Rub the argan oil mixture into the ends of your hair and work your way up to your scalp.
- Dry and style your hair as normal. You don’t need to rinse the argan oil from your hair.
- Repeat the argan oil hair conditioner every time you wash your hair to keep your hair looking beautiful.
Argan oil is relatively stable. You can expect a shelf life of 1 year with proper storage (cool dark place, out of direct sunlight). Refrigeration after opening is recommended.
It is recommended to use 100% pure Moroccan Argan oil for the best benefits (sometimes the Argan oil is mixed with other oils). You can purchase it through health food stores or online.